It could use a coat of paint...


One of my favorites from the archives...


My husband and I just spent an amazing weekend in Venice, Italy! It was our seventeenth wedding anniversary.  A friend said that she would take the kids and Venice is a sixty minute flight, so why not?

We haven't had a weekend away in a year and it was much needed.

After our incredibly quick flight we arrived at our hotel. The hotel was right on the grand canal and was well, let's say "charming", in an antique sort of way!

One of our favorite things to do when we travel is to play "spot the...American, Brit or... You fill in the nationality." sometimes this game is really difficult, other times not so much.

Venice is full of tourists unloaded from cruise ships and it's not hard at all to spot them. Most have large cameras, me included, most were waiting to get a gondola, me included, and we even got the occasional black socked, sandal wearing tourist...I can't be included in this stereotype...

The tourist that shocked us the most came on our final day in Venice. We had successfully eaten and drank our way through this amazing city, we had seen the sights, taken our gondola ride and experienced all that Venice had to offer a couple in love. Our final morning we were sitting at a quiet breakfast in our hotel when I had to break my husbands rule of "no talking to strangers" and asked the couple next to us where they were from. After telling me, and I won't say it here as to not offend anyone from that city, she asked me how I liked Venice.

"I love it, " I told her, "I love the charm, the architecture, the people, the food...I love all of it!"

"Don't you think it could use a coat of paint? Where we come from they have a covenant, and they would have had to paint the buildings by now."

Okay, at this point I was about to break into laughter, and I almost had to pick my husband's jaw off of the table...did she really just say that?

Yea, it is over 700 years old and I think that it's fallen at least a foot into the ocean over the past 40 years, but come to think about it, it really could use a good power washing...really lady, go back to your covenant controlled neighborhood and let me enjoy Venice!

What do you think...does it need a coat of paint? I think not!




21 comments:

  1. Rome is my most favourite city I've ever visited, but I'm sure Venice must be even more beautiful. It's certainly on my to-visit list. Absolutely love the story - my boyfriend and I play the same spotting game when we're on holiday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Venice was gorgeous Nicky, but I hear that it can get a bit smelly and a bit crowded in the summer. Rome is amazing as well!!! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. It looks amazing, fresh paint or not. ;) Someday I hope to make it there...really, it looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures. I’d love it if you’d share this at my link party, going on now! http://acowboylife.blogspot.com/2014/02/friday-favorites-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I didn't have a chance to link up. I am going to do so now. Thanks for thinking of me!

      Delete
  4. I loved Venice!! My husband and I officially got engaged there (we were at the time long distance, so we met there). In addition to the charm and unique setting, it was so lovely not to hear a single car for a week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my Anna, I hadn't even thought about not hearing a car until you mentioned it. How right you are. No car noise at all! Just wonderful sounds of the water lapsing against the city walls. What an amazingly romantic place to get engaged. Ours was an anniversary trip.

      Delete
  5. your a lucky lady, getting to travel..wish I could!

    Rosalyn
    www.just2fancy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky I am Rosalyn, but sometimes I would trade it all in to go home…Oh how I miss a simple trip to Target. Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  6. Your photography is beautiful! Venice is on our list too. You're blessed to be able to travel. My husband and I are blissfully afflicted with wanderlust and travel as much as time and finances allow. Discovered your blog from the Friday Fresh Face, as I am one of the co-hosts. :-) Cheers!

    Kelly
    www.alovelylifeindeed.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, thanks so much for stopping by. I have to say that I was very surprised at my love of Venice. I had heard stories of it being crowded and smelly, but it all depends on the time of year that you go. It is a must see if you come to Europe.

      Delete
  7. Wow - I'd love to go to Venice, what beautiful photos! I'm an expat in Germany too, so I'm going to keep an eye on your adventures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Vanessa another Germany expat, I will so be following your adventures as well!

      Delete
  8. Lovely photos. I hope to make it to Venice someday. I found your blog via a link at the Mommy Bloggers group at Circle of Moms.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous pictures! I went to Venice in college...but want to go back..thanks for the inspiration! Happy to meet you in the Blogging Bunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great place to visit Kristen. Just try to avoid the dead of summer when it is packed with tourists and very hot.

      Delete
  10. These pics are gorgeous! Are they yours? I lived abroad for seven years (in Prague and then Uganda) and wish so much I had blogged during that time. What a great record (and way to keep up with friends and fam at home!). So glad I found your little corner of the blogosphere!
    Georgia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh Georgia, thanks…I'm glad that you found me as well. Yes, the photos are mine. My second favorite thing to do is take pictures!! I hope that I can keep you entertained on this journey.

      Delete
  11. The classic joke talks about probably the same person you met in Venice...who says standing in front of the Colosseum in Rome: - It looks nice, but it will be really awesome when they finally finish it..My fiancée is from Venice, so apart from being a gorgeous city, it is a very special place for me. What I love the most is the atmosphere by night.I am really glad that you also liked Venice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's travelers like those that make you want to scream isn't it!! I have to say, I adored Venice. It is a magical city!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...